What is UF2B?

We are 5 poker heads who are looking to elevate our games through discussion and sweat sessions with one another. This will be where we share our ideas and concepts, as well as report on our own individual growth. Each week, we will concentrate and study one poker concept and write an article on it. Please check back frequently and let us know your thoughts and opinions; we welcome your feedback.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Hand 4 : 4th Feb

Hand 4

I think this hand is interesting because there are so many different ways in which it can be played. It's also against the same opponent as hand 3.

Stack sizes:
Hero: $1369
BB: $1293.25

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 7c 9c
2 folds, Hero raises to $35, SB folds, BB raises to $120, Hero calls.

The BB is an aggressive regular who 3-bets fairly often. Here I decide to call with 97s and play a flop. I'm planning on using my position to take some pots away from him. Folding here is obviously fine. I would pretty much never 4-bet as my hand plays too well post-flop to turn it into a bluff, and I think calling with position is a much better option than getting involved in a pre-flop war.


Flop: 2s 3h 9d ($245, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

This is a good flop for me and he checks. Given the hand I'd just played against him (hand 3), I wasn't sure what he was going to do if I bet. I will definitely bet here sometimes, but I prefer to bet when I'm confident in knowing what to do to a check-raise. Here I wasn't, so I elected to check behind.

Turn: Jc ($245, 2 players)
BB bets $170, Hero calls.

The turn brings an overcard and he bets. This isn't necessarily bad for me. The way I look at it, he can have a maximum of two overcards to the board. Five different overcards can hit, and I believe he'll bet all of them. That means that I can call the turn and be correct at least 60% of the time. The downside is that the river will be a tough decision but, in the words of Dice, "That's why we get paid good money to do this job".


River: Tc ($585, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

The river gave me a horrible feeling when he checked. I said at the time that I really felt like turning my hand into a bluff, despite having showdown value. I decided not to as I do have showdown value and the only hands I can get to fold are Tx hands (and he might not even fold them). He can also have a J here and he'll never fold that. I really felt like he had showdown value when he checked though, and I think his showdown value will almost always be better than a pair of 9s.


Results:
Final pot: $585

BB showed Ah Td
Hero mucks 7c 9c

No comments: